5CD06BF0-B51B-4C51-BC44-120885D45EC5Dealing with mental illness, I find that it’s so important to have a routine.
• Starting with a sample routine.
Such as making your bed. Taking care of basic hygiene, brushing your teeth & washing your face. which could be challenging.
•Make a cup of coffee or tea. Enjoy it! Take it one day at a time. If you can accomplish this 2 days in a row that’s huge success. The next week, aim for 3 days in a row. If you don’t succeed at doing it. Don’t beat yourself up. Reevaluate and try to complete it for one day a week. It could help to set a specific day.
It may sound ridiculous for others, however, it’s a big task for one that is crippled with depression and anxiety. Some days, just getting out bed is routine in it self.
•Proper breathing.
The importance of breathing when experiencing anxiety. Notice, I did not say anxiety attack! To me, two totally different things, base on my experience.

Here, I’m speaking of a mild form of anxiety. Its reaction from your brain, it’s a feeling. it’s not reality. You feel your heart racing, pounding, scared like something bad is going to happen. This is a horrible feeling to have and and function through your day to day, completing your daily task.

This is an everyday anxiety situation I just described. One that suffers with clinical anxiety, mental illness base on my experience. It is not the day to day anxiety of: for example; rent is due I don’t have all the money. Not all anxiety are equals.

•Suggestions to help with experiencing anxiety, that has help me and many others I know.
#1. Take your medication daily as prescribe, even on days you feel okay.
#2. Breathe – we forget to breathe. We have to learn to take that deep breath. Closing eyes helps, deep through your nose, out slowly through the mouth.
#3. Change the scenery if possible. By using spa music, free apps for sounds of nature, ex.. the sea, the rain.
#4. Write about how you feel if possible.
#5. Go for a long walk. Even if you don’t feel like doing it, if possible
#6. Exercise. Exercise has proven to help anxiety and improve your mood. If you can’t get the gym. Do simple exercises, wherever you are: even if it’s a small space.

Exercises that requires concentration and focus works best in small spaces:
For example;
*planks until muscle failure,
*jumping squats,
*Jumping jacks
*pulsing squats,
*wall sitting until muscle failure
*bicycle crunches,
*In place lunges
*push ups
*dip sets; to make it more challenging, hold one leg up and alternate.

Those exercises, I find helps, because it forces you to concentrate, and forces your brain to not drag you to another place.
It’s almost like using your energy and put it somewhere else.

I’m not a fitness instructor or any licensing person.

I’m sharing what has help me in my journey because my I find many on the road with me.
I’m providing encouragement and providing a support system.
Please, please, complete these exercises as your limitations allows you. There’s always modification for the exercises to prevent straining your muscles and injuries.

If you are not familiar with any of these exercises and how to properly do them. Either google or YouTube. Rule of thumb: It’s always better to do 1 good in proper form than do 100 in bad form.

PS. Me

6 thoughts on “Sharing some of strategies that has been working for me. Hopefully, it will help someone else on this journey.

1. Brittany B says:

I suffer from mental illness ( bipolar, O.C.D) and also suffer from physical illness as well and I wanted to say thank you for sharing this, I do need to set a routine, so thank you for your posts and encouragement.

• Herline Faustin- Amegbletor aka Lina says:

So sweet thank you Very much…. you’re not alone in this journey. We will stand strong against this horrible illness. Please continue to visit the site. This blog is for you and others on the journey with me. A place you feel free to express your feelings . It’s also for your love one to help them understand us and make it better for both side. Again thank you so much .

2. Toni says:

I’ve noticed that for me , a great deal of depression comes from physical pain I’m coping with right now . Feeling of guilt , sadness ..I’ve found that your tips about small goals , structure , exercise and wonderful tools . On top of just plain trying to cope in a cruel world , some days are better , some worse … again , just getting out of bed to brush my teeth is monumental… so I do small things .. small goals .

• Herline Faustin- Amegbletor aka Lina says:

People wouldn’t believe how big of a task a small task is for us? Right! Day by day love with Jehovah. He loves you and knows your heart. He knows you are trying to give him your best even under your circumstances

3. Gini Nyam says:

Thank you so much. This is a start and I’m goning try these suggestions. The other day I woke up feeling mentally lost and immobilized and so my question was : what do you do when you wake up feeling mentally immobilized? I had so much to do and didn’t know where to begin. It affected me emotionally, tears ran down my face as I sat there feeling stuck. I was so frustrated and angry with myself. It took me a while to think and talk my way through it. I just moved to a new place I know nothing about. There’s so much going on with this new situation and I don’t adapt easily to change. I was diagnosed back in 2015 with BP2/GAD/ADD. I really wish I was at a point in my life where I could manage well what I have but I’m still in the learning process. Sorry for ranting…

Liked by 1 person

• Herline Faustin- Amegbletor aka Lina says:

You’re not ranting. You’re describing in detail what you feel so I can feel what you and for to understand your feelings as much as possible. Thank you so much for posing this question. It’s a realistic question that happens to the best of even ones that are not clinically diagnosed. Your answer is on the way. You’re not alone. We are in this together. It’s our journey and we will continue to make small progress together. Safe space.
      Ps. Me